The red and black Newport Challenge AR Rower is a $1299 home rower with adjustable water resistance. Made by First Degree Fitness, this durable ride accurately emulates the outdoor rowing experience: It comfortably supports a full stroke cycle, plus it provides the soothing sight and sound of splashing water. Like other rowers in the First Degree Fitness Horizontal Series, the Newport Challenge AR has transport wheels and is designed for easy storage.
The Newport Challenge AR is a shiny red indoor rower offering a smooth “on-the-water” sort of exercise experience. It is part of the First Degree Fitness Horizontal Series, which features full-sized indoor water rowers designed for compact storage.
The Newport Challenge AR provides the rare combination of an attractive metal frame, variable water resistance and advanced session feedback. It is well made and carries a competitive warranty.
A key selling point of virtually any water rowing machine is its smooth realistic stroke. With the Horizontal Series from First Degree Fitness, trainees can set their preferred resistance levels with a dial. With the Newport Challenge AR, interval training workouts are preset on the computer monitor too. The feedback shown are time, distance, 500M split time, strokes per minute, calories per hour, watts, interval and heart rate.
The Newport Challenge AR measures just under 78” long x 21” wide when unfolded and can hold up to 330 pounds.
- Variable Water Resistance: Many competitive crew team members prefer water rowers over the other indoor rower alternatives. Indoor water rowers not only support a smooth stroke cycle, but also add the ambiance of splashing water. On the Newport Challenge AR Rower the resistance level can be adjusted with a dial on the water flywheel. The resistance settings range from very light for deconditioned trainees to very powerful for top athletes. There are four options and many customers report staying at level 1 for awhile.
- Cushioned Seat: The Newport Challenge AR’s sliding seat runs on higher quality bearings for a smooth ride.
- Adjustable Footplates: The footplates have adjustable height to help most riders find an ideal fit.
- Data: The data monitor can provide heart rate feedback if used with a chest strap. Also shown are time, distance, 500M split time, strokes per minute, calories per hour and watts. Interval training programming is included.
- USB Port: A USB port on the monitor makes it convenient to use this rower with fitness apps. One popular option puts the trainee in a 3D virtual reality environment for solo training or racing against other connected riders.
- Quiet Operation: This brand’s water rowers make audible splashes but operate rather quietly. They use strong belts that require little day-to-day maintenance.
- Easy to Store: This rowing machine can easily be flipped vertically for storage. Its stored dimensions are approximately 22” wide, 21” wide and 78” tall.
- High Capacity: The Newport Challenge AR has a maximum user weight capacity of 330 pounds.
- Good Warranty: The competitive home warranty provides five years of protection for the frame, three years for the tank and non-wearing mechanical parts, and one for wear parts.
- Slow Response: The adjustable water tank requires a bit of time to adapt to new settings.
- Bungee: The Newport Challenge is low maintenance but its handlebar bungee might sometimes need tightening by the owner. This process is outlined in the owner’s manual.
The Newport Challenge AR Rower is a great-looking, top-rated, and reliable rower for home gyms. It can stand up to the needs of most households and has enough programming to encourage follow-through with fitness plans.
First Degree Fitness Newport Challenge AR Rower Specifications:
|Weight Capacity:||330 LBS|