The NordicTrack brand was established in Minnesota in 1975. This fitness equipment company was initially limited to cross-country ski machines, but today NordicTrack makes treadmills, incline trainers, rowing machines, and more.
The brand is now owned by ICON Health and Fitness, an international company with a variety of fitness equipment labels. ICON moved NordicTrack’s production to China in the late 1990s. It distributes NordicTrack equipment throughout North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.
NordicTrack fitness machines appeal to shoppers seeking “extras” and the lone NordicTrack rower is no exception. The RW200 is loaded with 20 workout modes and an iPod-compatible sound system. This residential fitness machine measures 84.75” L x 22” W x 43.5” H and can be easily folded for storage.
Unlike some air rowers that offer virtually unlimited levels of resistance, the RW200 is limited to 10 challenge levels. Its tension range is best for beginner rowers.
The NordicTrack RW200 is normally priced at $999, but is frequently on sale for as low as $599.
- Air Resistance: The NordicTrack indoor rower provides 10 levels of air resistance. The air flywheel is uncovered, so the user gets a cooling breeze during their workout. Air rowers are popular for their smooth strokes and accurate ’on-the-water’ sensation.
- Performance Monitor: The monitor constantly displays watts and can rotate feedback for strokes-per-minute, total strokes, time, calories, and distance. Trainees can choose from 20 preset programs. Ten are based on watts and the other ten have calorie-burn goals. This monitor can be powered by batteries or an AC adaptor.
- Pivoting pedals: The foot rests are large to fit most shoe sizes. They pivot to support a natural range of motion and prevent strain. The pedals have adjustable nylon straps and are textured for stability.
- Higher Profile: The seat is positioned relatively high from the ground. This makes the rower easier to access for users with any movement limitations.
- Easy to Store: The NordicTrack RW200 rower has a SpaceSaver design. The beam can fold upright and small wheels make it easy to move.
- No Heart Rate Data: A heart rate monitor would be useful. Many other rowing machines have wireless heart rate monitors and some offer heart rate controlled workouts as well.
- Weaker Resistance: Even at the maximum level of resistance, the RW200 won’t provide much challenge for an advanced rower. Advanced athletes should seek other brancs like the Concept2.
- Short Warranty: The NordicTrack RW200 has a decent frame warranty, but parts and labor are covered for only a year.
- Lower Weight Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity of 200 pounds is very light for a rowing machine.
The NordicTrack rowing machine is designed for beginners. It has programming to guide new rowers through efficient weight loss and cardio training, while the built-in sound system helps workouts fly by. However, riders seeking strength training won’t take long to outgrow this machine.
At the discount price of $599, the RW200 makes a great starter machine. At full price, we recommend approaching your purchase with caution. For more advanced workouts at a higher budget level, we prefer the air rowers by Concept2.