The Stamina ATS Air Rower 1402 is a simple yet well-made rowing machine for home use. It uses fan wind to produce resistance in response to effort, and it suits most skill levels. It monitors data but does not provide preset workouts. This machine is a bit shorter and lower than the Stamina 1405. It can be folded to save space.
Stamina’s ATS Air Rower 1402 is a very basic yet capable rowing machine designed for residential use. It’s priced lower than most other air rowers — just $499 — so its durability is pretty remarkable.
The ATS Air Rower 1402 gets a sturdy steel frame and has a metal chain instead of a cheaper tension cord. (With other discount rowers, a main problem is broken tension cords.) Judging from customer reviews, it can deliver enough air resistance to challenge the vast majority of riders.
Will this machine fit your body? The ATS Air Rower 1402 has a weight limit of 250 pounds and fits people up to about 6’0”. A heftier version of this rower is the 1405, which offers more legroom and weighs 12 pounds more. The ATS Air Rower 1402 weighs 55 pounds.
Here are some considerations divided into positives and negatives.
Although this rowing machine is pretty inexpensive, it lasts a long time according to customer reviews. Here are some reasons to choose the Stamina ATS Air Rower 1402.
- Assembly: Most buyers consider the rower easy to set up. Also, unlike other discount rowing machines, it doesn’t get complaints about faulty parts that don’t align.
- Durable: This rowing machine has features that are normally reserved for more expensive models: a steel frame, a metal chain and smooth ball bearing rollers. Although Stamina Products’ warranty is very short, we just don’t see complaints about breakdowns.
- Low Profile: While other rowing machines like the Stamina 1405 are raised from the ground, this unit stays low. Is higher or lower better? It’s just a matter of personal taste. A lower height might feel most natural, the most like being in a boat. A higher height is typically better for someone with limited mobility.
- Padded Seat: The seat has a good amount of padding and is molded for comfort. Larger riders might consider it to be small though.
- Data: A monitor shows strokes, strokes per minute, distance, time, and calories burned. The monitor has an adjustable height and can be tilted for the perfect view.
- Saves Space: The seat and beam can be folded upward when your workout is through. Wheels are attached for easy transport too. The unfolded dimensions are about average for a residential rowing machine.
The Stamina ATS Air Rower 1402 has a lot to offer, but it isn’t for everyone. Here are some possible drawbacks.
- Warranty: The warranty is very short. Residential buyers get three years of protection for the frame but only 90 days for parts. Again though, it’s worth pointing out that the Air Rower has a good reputation and costs little.
- No Heart Rate Monitor: Most rowing machines have heart rate receivers.
- No Preset Programs: The computer monitor does not have exercise programs.
- Footplates Don’t Pivot: Pivoting foot plates would let your body follow a more natural motion as you row. The Stamina X is very similar to the ATS Air Rower 1402 and has pivoting plates.
- Footplates Are Small: Stamina advertises the footplates as being oversized. However, that seems to be an error. In photos of the product in use, you can see shoes extending beyond the pedals. The Stamina X has larger footplates.
The Stamina ATS Air Rower 1402 is a remarkably durable budget rowing machine. If built-in programs and heart rate monitoring aren’t priorities for you, then this might be the best discount rowing machine to choose. For extra comfort though, you might prefer the Stamina X. It is almost the same machine but is red and black with pivoting footplates. It costs just $50 more.
Stamina ATS 1402 Air Rower Specifications:
|Weight Capacity:||250 LBS|