The new Total Gym Row Trainer is the world’s first rowing machine to use body weight as resistance. Seated on an incline, the trainee rows along a slope that’s adjustable for a customized challenge to work the whole body. Additionally the Row Trainer supports biceps curls, side-to-side rowing and other exercises.
Experience the newest innovation in indoor rowing, the Total Gym Row Trainer for cardio and strength training. This unique rowing machine uses adjustable body weight resistance to allow versatile full body workouts. Trainees at all skill levels can benefit from this easy-to-use machine not only with traditional rowing but with dozens of other exercises. Demo videos for the Row Trainer show how it supports multi-planar movements such as side-to-side rowing and biceps curls.
To increase resistance the user can adjust the incline and/or add resistance bands. At the steepest setting the resistance is about 20% of the user’s body weight. Bungees can add up to 15 pounds of force.
This versatile trainer is suited to self-guided use and for small group training. It carries a commercial warranty but is affordable for home gyms too. For space-saving purposes the Row Trainer can be stored vertically. Transport wheels are attached for easy repositioning.
Is this the best rower for your fitness facility or home gym? Here are positives and negatives to consider.
- Assembly: The Row Trainer is easy to assemble. Prospective customers can watch a video of the quick assembly process on the Total Gym website.
- Bodyweight Resistance: The Row Trainer is the world’s first rowing machine to use bodyweight resistance. Rowing while seated on an incline, the trainee’s body weight works with gravity to simulate the smooth resistance that would come from water. Depending on the incline, the resistance ranges from 17% to 20% of the trainee’s weight. Trainees also have the option to add up to 15 pounds of variable band (bungee) resistance.
- Full Body Workout: Rowing is excellent cardiovascular exercise and trains all the major muscle groups. The Total Gym Row Trainer recruits about 85% of muscles during the traditional rowing cycle, plus it supports a wide variety of exercises that isolate specific muscle groups in the upper body and/or lower body. This versatility makes the machine ideal for self-serve circuit training as well as individual rowing and group rowing classes.
- Data: A monitor shows the time elapsed, calories burned, distance and strokes.
- Low Impact: Rowing machines are among the most joint-friendly cardio trainers. The Total Gym rower allows total body training while putting little pressure on the joints, especially the spine.
- Fits Almost Anyone: The new Total Gym row machine is designed to accommodate virtually all heights. It can safely hold up to 400 pounds.
- Strong Frame: This rower has a steel frame to withstand commercial use. For smooth gliding it has an extruded aluminum beam with steel coating.
- Folding: The Row Trainer can be stored upright. Moving the machine is easy; it weighs just under 100 pounds and has transport wheels.
- High Capacity: The Total Gym Row Trainer has a maximum user weight capacity of 400 pounds.
- Warranty: The rollers for this machine are under warranty for one year. There aren’t many other parts to be concerned about maintaining, but since this is a new product we don’t know how the pull cord and electronics will stand up over time. The steel frame has a five year warranty.
- Size: This rower is longer than most. It measures 98” long x 23.5” wide x 30” high. However, it takes up minimal floor space when stored upright.
- No Heart Rate Monitor: The Total Gym Row Trainer does not have a wireless or grip heart rate receiver.
- No Training Programs: This fitness machine isn’t equipped with training programs. The user can be self-directed, follow a fitness video or take part in a group training class.
The Total Gym Row Trainer can be a cost-effective addition to commercial workout spaces and home gyms. Because it’s so versatile, it can be thought of as not only a rowing machine but also a mini gym. It’s a good match for trainees of all skill levels and almost any size.
Purchasing this rower directly from the manufacturer is generally best. While a Total Gym Row Machine might be available elsewhere, these versions can be slightly less robust than what’s delivered from the Total Gym website.