The commercial WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine is made in the USA from sustainably sourced black walnut. Like other indoor rowers from this leading brand, the WaterRower Classic features a patented water resistance system to help emulate the sensation of paddling a boat through water. Equipped with a helpful computer monitor that includes workout guidance and feedback, this high quality fitness machine is appropriate for everyone from novices to very experienced rowers.
The high quality WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine uses water resistance and is crafted from sustainably sourced black walnut. It is part of the WaterRower Designer Series, which also features commercial quality rowers made from cherry hardwood and brushed stainless steel.
This machine has the WaterRower brand’s patented WaterFlywheel. This special resistance system consists of a set of paddles in an enclosed water tank. Water resistance is, naturally, the top way to simulate the physical experience of boating with an indoor rower! The WaterRower brand is also known for providing comfortable rides in terms of seating and the paddling motion.
The WaterRower Classic arrives with a workout DVD. Six workout programs are built into its S4 Monitor too, and riders can design their own programs for intensity goals, distance and duration. The S4 Monitor can save data for integration with third party software as well.
Is this the best rowing machine for your needs? Here are our lists of positives and negatives.
- Good Looking: The WaterRower Classic is crafted from black walnut for a solid, classy look. The hardwood is finished with three coats of Danish Oil for luster.
- Made in the USA: All WaterRowers are made in the USA. Those with hardwood, like the Classic in this review, are made from trees harvested in Appalachia. More than two trees (2.2) are planted for each tree harvested.
- Resistance: The WaterRower Classic indoor rower uses water resistance to help simulate the physics of rowing a boat. It is outfitted with a “water flywheel” that consists of two paddles in an enclosed tank of water. The water flywheel provides smooth, quiet resistance and is more durable than mechanical alternatives.
- Low Impact: The WaterRower Classic recruits up to 84 percent of your muscle mass, making it much more efficient at calorie burning compared with most other aerobic machines. Nonetheless the exercise is considered low impact because it relieves pressure from joints in the hips, knees and ankles. It supports a full and healthy range of motion for the upper body.
- Data: The S4 Monitor displays stroke intensity in m/s (meters per second), mph (mile per hour), /500m (time per 500 meters), /2km (time per 2 kilometers), watts and Kcalories per hour. It can also show heart rate with an optional attachment. Additional features are described on the WaterRower website.
- Workout Programs: The S4 Monitor has six preset workouts and makes it easy to set up a workout based on a desired distance or duration. This rower has an interval workout feature too; you can set up to nine intervals and get separate data for each. The monitor saves the previous nine workout sessions for comparison and to offer “quick starts.”
- Advanced Heart Rate Analysis: The WaterRower Classic can work with wireless telemetry to provide the following readouts: maximum heart rate achieved, time spent above desired heart rate zone, time spent in desired zone, and time spent below desired zone. A “Zone Feature” alert system helps you stay within the desired zone.
- Eco-Minded: Built from sustainable wood and using water for resistance, this fitness machine has a relatively light carbon footprint.
- Long-Lasting: This rower has a durable frame and resistance system. Black walnut, like all woods used in WaterRower machines, has excellent longevity and dimensional stability. The water resistance system cannot wear down.
- Easy to Store: The frame for this rower flips upright for easy storage.
- Very High Capacity: The WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine has a user weight capacity of 1000 pounds.
- Good Warranty: The WaterRower Classic is initially backed by a three-year warranty on the frame and a one-year warranty on the components. This can be extended to a five-year frame warranty and a three-year parts warranty if you register the purchase.
- Larger Size: The WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine is larger than many other fitness machines. It measures just over 82” long and 22” wide. It is 20” high.
- Price: As the world’s best indoor rowing machines, WaterRowers are relatively expensive. They are available for sale and for rent.
The WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine is a great-looking and very effective fitness machine. It costs more than most other rowers do, but it’s virtually maintenance-free and should outlast the competition. In our review this is one of the best rowing machines on the market.
WaterRower Classic Rower Specifications:
|Monitor:||S4 Monitor display|
|Weight Capacity:||1000 LBS|