The WaterRower S1 is a beautiful commercial-grade rowing machine designed in Germany and crafted in the USA. Made with brushed stainless steel, it’s ready to complement just about any design scheme. The S1, like all WaterRowers, showcases a patented “water flywheel” and provides workout support via an S4 Monitor. It is appropriate for all skill levels.
The S1 Rowing Machine is part of WaterRower’s Designer Series. This series features rowers made from premium materials. While the other Designer units are made from hardwood, the WaterRower S1 is made from brushed stainless steel. This is a limited edition product that costs more than the others.
The S1 features WaterRower’s patented WaterFlywheel. A translucent water tank holds a pair of paddles, and resistance automatically increases with the rider’s effort. There’s no better way to simulate the outdoor rowing experience! The motion is smooth, quiet and physiologically sound.
This unit is topped with an S4 Monitor. This LCD computer arrives with six preset workouts and lets rowers set up customized routines based on duration, distance or interval training. Plenty of feedback about each interval and exercise session is provided, and nine consecutive workouts are saved for comparison and to let you quickly repeat a routine. For advanced tracking, online races and more, the S4 Monitor can interface with a PC.
Is this the best indoor rower for your fitness room? Here are lots of positives and a few possible drawbacks.
- Appearance: The limited edition S1 is a gorgeous fitness machine. It is sleek and radiates high quality.
- Resistance: WaterRowers use water resistance to reproduce the sensation of rowing a boat. A “water flywheel” housing two paddles provides smooth, quiet resistance. The resistance increases with the rower’s exertion level, so this machine can work with people at all skill levels. Other rowing machines have fixed resistance levels.
- Low Impact: The WaterRower S1 can work an impressive 84% of your muscle mass! It’s more efficient than most other aerobic trainers, yet the exercise is low impact; rowing is gentle on the ankles, knees, and hips.
- Data and Extras: The S4 Monitor is loaded with appealing features. For one thing, it can connect with your PC to show progress in a virtual boat, let you participate in online races, and track your workouts over the long term. It also displays intensity in m/s (meters per second), mph (mile per hour), /500m (time per 500 meters), /2km (time per 2 kilometers), watts and Kcalories per hour. The S4 Monitor is compatible with most wireless heart rate monitors too. Additional features are described on the WaterRower website.
- Workout Programs: The S4 Monitor has six preset workouts and makes it easy to set up a workout based on a desired distance or duration. This rower has an interval workout feature too; you can set up to nine intervals separated by rest times. Statistics are provided for each interval and/or session.
- Advanced Heart Rate Analysis: The WaterRower S1 can work with a wireless transmitter and receiver to help you stay in your desired heart rate zone. A “Zone Feature” alert system lets you know when you’re working too hard or need to put in more effort. Readouts provided include maximum heart rate achieved, time spent above desired heart rate zone, time spent in desired zone, and time spent below desired zone.
- Long-Lasting: The WaterRower S1 has a stainless steel frame, and its water resistance system can’t go bad. This indoor rower is built to last.
- Easy to Store: The frame flips upright for easy storage. The stored dimensions are approximately 19” x 22” x 82”.
- Very High Capacity: The WaterRower S1 Rowing Machine has a user weight capacity of 1,000 pounds.
- Good Warranty: This purchase initially carries just a one-year warranty on the frame and components, but WaterRower will upgrade the warranty to five years on the frame and three years on the components with the completion of a registration form.
- Price: This product is a limited edition. It is one of the most expensive rowers on the market.
- Footrests: The footrests are placed too closely together for people who have thick legs.
- Size: The WaterRower S1 Rowing Machine has a large footprint: 82.25″ x 22.25″.
Choosing between this WaterRower and others mostly comes down to budget and style preference. The WaterRower S1 Rowing Machine looks especially classy — and that’s what explains the extra cost. Other great-looking WaterRowers have the same resistance system and computer monitor but get lower prices.
WaterRower S1 Rower Specifications:
|Weight Capacity:||1000 LBS|